United Nations Day Recipe
Did you know that October 24th was United Nations Day? We didn’t really care either but why not get in on the festivities with a recipe suitable for the holiday.
We thought a great way to celebrate United Nations Day would be to cook up something from a culture other than our own. That’s why we are bringing you this easy Russian recipe for Russian Green Bean and Potato Soup!
There’s no better time of year for hearty soups and stews than fall so this should be a perfect fit.
United Nations Day Recipe: Russian Style
Throw on your furry hat, slam a shot of vodka and whip this Russian recipe to celebrate United Nations Day!
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Wheat Flour
- 1 White Onion – Halved and Sliced Thinly
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup of Sauerkraut
- 4 Red or 2 White Potatoes Cubed
- 2 Cups of Green Beans
- 1 Tablespoon of Dill
- 5 Cups of Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Grab a large saucepan and heat your vegetable oil up over medium heat.
- Toss in your thinly sliced onions and cook until they begin to caramelize in the pan. This takes 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add in your green beans and potatoes and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes until they begin to soften slightly.
- Pour in your 5 cups of stock and bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until your potatoes become soft and cooked.
- Mix together your sour cream and flour and begin to mix it into your saucepan a little at a time.
- Grab your last two ingredients and mix in your sauerkraut and dill. Once mixed, let the mixture simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!
Grab your ingredients and get ready to rock it out Russian style with this United Nations Day recipe. If you have some unique recipes you think would be perfect for United Nations Day then please leave them in the comments section below.